I’m a research associate / Ph.D. student at the Interactive Media Lab Dresden since February 2016. In my research, I focus on utilizing multi-device environments for visual data exploration, i.e., investigating ways how people can work with interactive visualizations across different devices.
My supervisor is Prof. Raimund Dachselt. Currently, I’m working on a research project called GEMS 2.0 about Visual Editing and Comparison of Multivariate Graphs Using Multiple Interactive Displays founded by the DFG (largest independent research funding organization in Germany). The project is a cooperation between the Interactive Media Lab Dresden at the Technische Universität Dresden and the Chair of Computer Graphics (VC²G) at the University of Rostock.
In 2013, I received my Bachelor’s degree in media computer science from Technische Universität Dresden, Germany. I continued my studies in Dresden and defended my Master thesis in December 2015. Two months later, I got the opportunity to start as a Ph.D. student supervised by Raimund Dachselt.
- [Apr 2018 to Sep 2018] Research visit at Niklas Elmqvist’s lab (HCIL) at the University of Maryland.
- [Since Feb 2016] Research associate / Ph.D. student at the Interactive Media Lab Dresden (TU Dresden).
- [Dec 2015] Master of Science in Media Computer Science at Technische Universtität Dresden.
- [Sep 2013] Bachelor of Science in Media Computer Science at Technische Universtität Dresden.
- Data & PCS Co-Chair at ACM CHI 2020.
- PCS Chair at ACM CHI 2019.
- Workshop Co-Chair at the “Mensch und Computer” 2018.
- Co-organizer of the Virtual German CHI Week in 2020.
- Co-organizer of the German HCI Event at CHI in 2018, 2019, and 2020.
- Co-organizer of the International Spring School “smart@work” at TU Dresden in 2017.
- Reviewer for ACM CHI, ACM ISS, ACM TEI, ACM UIST, IEEE VIS, IEEE TVCG.
- Student Volunteer at ACM ITS/ISS 2014–2016; at IEEE VIS 2016–2019.
- [May 30, 2020] Co-Organized the Virtual German CHI Week
I was involved in the organization of the Virtual German CHI Week, which aimed to partly substitute this year’s canceled ACM CHI conference.
- [Apr 30, 2020] Full Paper at the 2020 ACM CHI Conference
The Watch+Strap paper was published in the proceedings of the 2020 ACM CHI conference.
- [Oct 27, 2019] Attended the 2019 IEEE VIS Conference in Vancouver, Canada
As the years before, I attended the annual IEEE VIS conference in 2019 in Vancouver.
- [Jul 19, 2019] Participated in the Dagstuhl Seminar on Mobile Data Visualization
This July I was invited to attended the Dagstuhl Seminar on Mobile Data Visualization and happily accepted the invitation.
- [Jun 07, 2019] Attended the 2019 EG/VGTC EuroVis Conference in Porto, Portugal
This year, I attended the EG/VGTC EuroVis conference and presented the InsideInsights paper.
- [May 11, 2019] Attended the 2019 ACM CHI Conference in Glasgow, Scotland, UK
I again participated in the ACM CHI conference by presenting Vistribute and attending the Doctoral Consortium.
- [Oct 26, 2018] Attended the 2018 IEEE VIS Conference in Berlin, Germany
After 2016 and 2017, I again participated in the IEEE VIS conference and presented a poster.
- [Sep 24, 2018] Wrapping up my Research Visit at University of Maryland
After almost six months, it’s time to wrap up a great stay at UMD, where I worked with Niklas Elmqvist.
- [Sep 06, 2018] Successful German HCI Conference 'Mensch und Computer' 2018
The ‘Mensch und Computer’ conference, where I served as Workshop Chair, took place in Dresden this week.
- [May 24, 2018] Attended the 35th HCIL Symposium at the University of Maryland
As I’m currently staying at the HCIL, I was able to attend the HCIL Symposium at the University of Maryland.
- [Apr 26, 2018] Attended 2018 ACM CHI Conference in Montreal, QC, Canada
For the first time, I participated in the ACM CHI conference and also presented my first CHI paper.
- [Feb 25, 2018] Internship at the University of Maryland iSchool
I’m really excited about working with Niklas Elmqvist during an internship from April until September this year.
- [Feb 13, 2018] CHI 2018: Paper Accepted & Honorable Mention Award
Our David meets Goliath paper was accepted at CHI ‘18 and received an honorable mention award!
- [Oct 09, 2017] Attended 2017 IEEE VIS Conference in Phoenix, AZ, USA
For the second time, I participated in the IEEE VIS conference—this year, with two own contributions.
- [Aug 15, 2017] VIS 2017: Paper & Poster accepted
- [Jul 03, 2017] Started Working on Research Project GEMS 2.0
Since July 2017, I’m now officially working on the DFG-funded research project on multivariate graphs.
- [Mar 11, 2017] International Spring School smart@work at Technische Universität Dresden
Being smart@work: experience from the International Spring School on Human Technology Cooperation.
- [Nov 11, 2016] Attended 2016 ACM ISS conference in Niagara Falls, ON, Canada
For the third year in a row, I participated at the ACM ISS conference (formerly ACM ITS).
- [Nov 03, 2016] Visited iSchool at University of Maryland, USA
I visited Niklas Elmqvist and Karthik Badam to push our collaboration forward.
- [Oct 28, 2016] Attended 2016 IEEE VIS Conference in Baltimore, MD, USA
For the first time, I attended the IEEE VIS conference this year. It was a great experience!