Hi, I’m Tom!
I’m a research associate / Ph.D. student at the Interactive Media Lab Dresden since February 2016. In my research, I focus on bringing novel interaction techniques to information visualizations.
- When David Meets Goliath: Combining Smartwatches with a Large Vertical Display for Visual Data Exploration Tom Horak, Sriram Karthik Badam, Niklas Elmqvist, Raimund Dachselt. In: Proceedings of the ACM Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems. ACM, 19:1-19:13, 2018.
CHI '18 Conference Paper Honorable Mention Award Details
- VisTiles: Coordinating and Combining Co-located Mobile Devices for Visual Data Exploration Ricardo Langner, Tom Horak, Raimund Dachselt. In: IEEE Transactions on Visualization and Computer Graphics. IEEE, 626-636, 2018.
VIS '17 / TVCG Journal Article Details
- Comparing Rendering Performance of Common Web Technologies for Large Graphs Tom Horak, Ulrike Kister, Raimund Dachselt. To appear in: Poster Program of the 2018 IEEE VIS Conference. 2018.
VIS '18 Poster Details
- Demonstrating VisTiles: Visual Data Exploration Using Mobile Devices Ricardo Langner, Tom Horak, Raimund Dachselt. In: Proceedings of the 2018 International Conference on Advanced Visual Interfaces. ACM, 69:1-69:3, 2018.
AVI '18 Demonstration Details
- [May 24, 2018] Attended the 35th HCIL Symposium at the University of Maryland
As I’m currently staying at the HCIL, I was able to attend the HCIL Symposium at the University of Maryland.
- [Apr 26, 2018] Attended 2018 ACM CHI Conference in Montreal, QC, Canada
For the first time, I participated in the ACM CHI conference and also presented my first CHI paper.
- [Feb 25, 2018] Internship at the University of Maryland iSchool
I’m really excited about working with Niklas Elmqvist during an internship from April until September this year.
- [Feb 13, 2018] CHI 2018: Paper Accepted & Honorable Mention Award
Our David meets Goliath paper was accepted at CHI ‘18 and received an honorable mention award!
- [Oct 09, 2017] Attended 2017 IEEE VIS conference in Phoenix, AZ, USA
For the second time, I participated in the IEEE VIS conference—this year, with two own contributions.